Looking for the ultimate comfort food? I saw this quick and easy recipe on Chef Kelvin’s page and I knew instantly that I had to try it. Topped with sesame seeds, spring onion and chilli & garlic oil it turned out so delicious! I paired it with pan-fried sweet and spicy tofu, broccoli and pepper to balance the saucy noodles. The noodles are best served hot, instantly off the pan. I waited a bit and the sauce started to dry out but it was still so yummy. I would recommend preparing the noodles right at the end as it takes only 10 minutes! In under one hour, you have a mouth watering plate you cannot resist!
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 45 minutes (+ 2 hours soak)
For Dan Dan Noodles:
- 120 gms rice noodles (soaked for minimum 2 hours)
- 40 gms 100% crunchy peanut butter (I have used the Meridian brand you get in UK) – It is important to get use 100% peanut butter for the best flavour. For a more saucy base, add more peanut butter.
- 3 tbsp soya sauce (I used dark soya sauce but you can use normal soya sauce and get lighter coloured noodles)
- 1.5 tbsp vinegar (I used rice vinegar but you can use any light coloured vinegar you have at home)
- 300 ml hot water (You can add 50 ml more if you want a more liquid base)
- 1 spring onion (chopped for garnish)
- 1 tsp chilli garlic oil (for garnish) (or chilli oil – use less if you do not want it to be spicy)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (for garnish)
For sweet and salty pan-fried broccoli and tofu:
- ½ red/yellow/green pepper (or more if you love pepper!)
- ½ broccoli head
- 6 slices of firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green chilli (chopped) (can skip if you do not want the spice)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- Salt to taste
Prepare first: Sweet and salty pan-fried broccoli and tofu
- In a bowl, mix the spices together (red chilli powder, garlic powder, sugar, ginger powder and salt) along with olive oil and water to form a thick paste. Adjust the consistency with water as required.
- Place the sliced tofu on a plate and coat it 1/2 tsp of the the paste on both sides (or more if you want a stronger flavour).
3. Heat a pan.
4. Once hot, place the sliced tofu on the pan and cook on medium heat until the base becomes crispy and brown. This should take about 4-5 minutes.
5. Flip over and cook until the other side is crispy as well.
6. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
7. Repeat the similar process for the broccoli and peppers by coating them evening with the remaining paste and add the green chillies here (if using).
8. Cook them on medium heat in the same pan until they begin to char. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
9. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
For Dan Dan Noodles
- In a bowl, mix the crunchy peanut butter, soya sauce, vinegar and hot water together until well combined.
- Heat a pan and transfer the sauce mixture and bring to boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling, add the soaked rice noodles and cook on medium-high heat with the lid on until the rice noodles become soft. This should take about 7-9 minutes (My pic is from when the noodles became slightly cold – I forgot to take a final pic right when the noodles are cooked!).
- Remove from heat and garnish with chilli garlic oil, sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Enjoy with the tofu and broccoli.
Hope you enjoy this!