Whenever I used to dine out at traditional Indian restaurants in India as a child, masala papad was a starter shared by my family. You mostly get fried masala papad outside (which is tasty no doubt) but I decided to roast mine and keep it oil-free (and healthier obviously). They are so quick to make. Just roast the papad, prepare the topping and add it to the papad. Voila! In under 10 minutes you have a quick and tasty snack (it’s quicker than maggi!). I have used spiced papadums but you can use the non-spiced version if you want to.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 10 minutes
Servings: 2 papads
- 2 roasted papad of choice (I have used the spicy ones, but you can opt for the plain ones instead and shallow fry them as an alternative)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium tomato (chopped)
- 3 spring onions (chopped) (You can swap this for 1 medium onion if you do not have spring onions)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the lemon juice and mix.
- Top it on the papad and enjoy fresh.
- Note that the base of the papad can become soggy as the onion and tomatoes will release water so it is best to add the toppings when you are ready to eat it.
Hope you enjoy this!