Here is my vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar free recipe for banana bread. I have always loved banana bread and lockdown gave me the chance to experiment with different versions of it and with different flours. This version has been one of my favourite ones. You can always substitute the gluten -free flour with whole wheat flour; that will bring a different flavour albeit still amazing.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 1 loaf
- 200 gms buckwheat flour (can be replaced with whole wheat flour)
- 60 gms coconut sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 320 gms overripe bananas (about 3 bananas) (if you want a less strong banana flavour add about 280 gms of banana)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- Pinch of salt
- 7-8 chopped walnuts + more for garnish
- 60 ml olive oil (or coconut oil)
- Pre-heat the oven at 190 degree celsius.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together – buckwheat flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder, salt and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas.
4. Add the mashed bananas to the dry mixture.
5. Add the olive oil and vanilla essence and mix.
6. Whisk the mixture together to create some air in the mixture for about 3-4 minutes.
7.Grease the loaf tin with oil.
8. Add the chopped walnuts and fold it in.
8. Transfer the whisked mixture to the loaf and garnish with walnuts.
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Hope you enjoy this!