Ragda is a mash of white peas and pattice are patties made of potato. Hence, this dish is mainly made of potato patties, spiced white peas and garnished with sev, onions, peanut and chutneys to give it its sweet and spicy flavour. It’s all vegan! This dish is part of the popular street food culture in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat in India. As this is the longest time that I have not visited home, I do miss the local food so I decided to make it myself.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
For Aloo Patties:
- 2 large boiled potatoes (or 4 medium potatoes)
- 2-3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped) (optional – you can omit it if you do not want the patties spicy)
- 1 ½ tsp amchur (dry mango powder)
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- Fine semolina flour to coat the patties
- 5-6 tbsp oil to shallow fry the patties (I did this in two batches of 4-5 patties)
For Ragda and Garnish:
- 120 gms white peas (soaked overnight and boiled with salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder)
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped)
- 3-4 tbsp sev
- Coriander chutney – Recipe here
- Tamarind chutney – I used Hebbar’s kitchen recipe here
For Aloo Patties
- In a bowl, mash the boiled potatoes.
- Add the dry mango powder, cumin powder, chopped green chilli, salt and chopped coriander and mix.
3. Take 1 tbsp of potato mixture in your hand and form round patties.
4. Coat the patties with semolina flour.
5. In a pan, heat oil.
6. Once hot, add the coated patties and cook for 6-7 minutes on each side or until they are crispy and brown on both sides.
For Ragda and garnish:
- Add the chilli powder, salt and lemon juice to the boiled ragda and mix.
- Make the chutney’s separately using the recipes here – Coriander chutney and Tamarind chutney.
- Add the ragda in a bowl and place the patties above it.
- Garnish with chopped onions, coriander chutney, tamarind chutney, coriander leaves, chopped peanuts, fresh lemon juice and sev and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this!