A wholesome home cooked North Indian meal perfect for the evening you want some simple Indian food.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 55 minutes
- 120 gms chickpeas(Soak for 6-8 hours)
- 2 cloves of garlic to pressure cook (optional) + 2-3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2 medium tomatoes (finely chopped or coarsely blended – see below)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tsp chana masala
- ½ tsp tumeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Water as required
- Rice to serve
- In a pressure cooker, cook the soaked chickpeas with water, salt, garlic and bayleaf for 6-7 whistles.
- Blend the onion with a bit of water to form a thick paste and keep aside.
- Next, blend the tomatoes, but do not completely puree it (leave some pieces). You can also finely chop the tomatoes instead.
- In a pan, heat the ghee.
- Once hot, add the ginger, garlic and chilli and cook until they brown.
- Add the blended onion and cook until the water dries.
- Add the chana masala, salt, chilli powder and tumeric powder and stir.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until the water dries.
- Release the pressure from the pressure cooked chickpeas.
- Add the mixture to the boiled chickpeas in the pressure cooker (do not drain the water/garlic/bayleaf).
- Optional – At this stage, you can add more water and adjust the spices as per your taste.
- Cover with the lid and let it cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve with rice.
Hope you enjoy this!