The ultimate winter comfort food made with red Indian carrots. This has been one of my favourite Indian sweets growing up and one that I would always look forward to in the winter season. You can have it hot or cold, my preference is definitely cold as it definitely tastes sweeter and more satisfying. These can be made with the regular orange carrots but that takes away the comfort and fun of having it in the winter season.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
- 200 gms grated red carrots
- 70 gms granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of saffron
- 2-3 cardamom pods (crushed)
- 300 ml whole milk
- 5-6 cashews (lightly crushed)
- 5-6 almonds (lightly crushed)
- 2 tbsp ghee + ½ tsp to roast nuts
- Heat ghee in a deep pan.
- Once hot, add the saffron, crushed cardamom, grated red carrots and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium heat until they are soft
- Add the milk and cook on slow flame till all the milk has evaporated. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
4. Whilst the milk is evaporating, add ½ tsp ghee in another pan and roast the cashew nuts and almonds until golden brown.
5. Add the roasted nuts to the carrots and mix well.
6. Finally, add the sugar and pinch of salt and cook for 4-5 minutes until all the remaining water has evaporated.
7. Serve hot or cold and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this!