Here’s one of my all time favourite parathas… Broccoli and Cheese Paratha. I first had Broccoli Paratha at a friends house and I was surprised at how delicious it was. For those who know me, know my love for broccoli in any form and I just had to recreate it. Broccoli and Cheese is a match made in heaven so I added my touch of cheese to an already super simple recipe. Here’s my super simple yet really delicious version and a great way to use broccoli.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 6 parathas
For Paratha mixture:
- 1 large head of broccoli (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp ghee to cook each paratha (or oil if you want to keep it vegan)
- Whole Wheat dough enough to make 6 parathas (recipe below)
- 140 gms whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- Water as required to knead dough
- 1 tsp oil to coat dough
For Paratha Mixture
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.
- Once hot, add the roughly chopped broccoli mixture with a bit of salt to it.
- Keep stirring for about 5-10 minutes and add the remaining slat, pepper and chilli.
- Keep cooking the mixture until its dried and a bit charred (almost halves in quantity).
- Once done, let the mixture cool
- Dry mix the whole wheat flour, plain flour, salt and turmeric powder.
- Add water as required and knead for 5 minutes to form a smooth dough.
- Coat the dough with oil and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts.
- Dust some flour on a flat surface and roll the dough to about 8 cm wide.
- Add 2 tbsp of the broccoli mixture and 1 tbsp of grated cheddar cheese and seal it.
4. Dust some more flour on a surface and gently roll the dough until about 20 cm wide.
5. Heat a flat non-stick pan and place the rolled dough.
6. Spread ghee/oil along the edges and cook on low heat for about 3-4 minutes.
7. Flip over and cook on the other side adding some more ghee if required.
8. Repeat the process for the remaining 5 dough balls and enjoy hot!
Hope you enjoy this.