Winter days are for warm comforting yet healthy food. Whilst I visited my family in India, I noticed that my mum used a lot of ginger in her food. Taking inspiration from that, I thought of this recipe on an evening I didn’t want to put a lot of effort and yet have a fresh and delicious home cooked meal. This recipe requires only 5 ingredients, readily available in most kitchens with a season of salt and pepper. This recipe is ready in under 30 minutes delivering maximum taste. Enjoyed best with bread or on its own as a wholesome bowl of happiness, do try this one!
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 30 minutes
- 6 medium tomatoes (scored on top)
- 2 medium carrots (roughly cut – i do not peel the skin, but feel free to!)
- 2 inch ginger (sliced long)
- 2 garlic cloves (sliced long)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp butter (for vegan version, use oil)
- Water as required
- Boil about 500 ml water in a pan.
- Add the scored tomatoes into the boiling water for about 3-4 minutes until the skin starts to peel off from it.
- Drain the water from the tomatoes and let it cool.
4. In a thick pressure cooker, melt the butter. If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can make this in a normal pan. The vegetables will just take slightly longer to soften for the soup.
5. Add the ginger and garlic and cook on medium heat until the lightly start to brown.
6. Add the carrots and stir well.
7. Peel the skin from the tomatoes and add it to the carrots along with 400 ml of water and bring to a boil.
8. Cook the soup in the pressure cooker for about 10 minutes.
9. Once cooked, release the pressure and using a hand blender, blend the boiled vegetables to a soup. If you do not have a hand blender, wait for the soup to cool down and transfer to a blender and blend to avoid steam forming inside the blender.
10. Serve hot with bread or enjoy on its own!
Hope you enjoy this!