I was browsing through my archives and came across one of the first recipes that I ever posted. The time that I was still figuring out how to blog. From the heart of Vietnam, here is my take on a veggie version of the traditional meat based crepe with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce. The combination of the crepe, peanut sauce and the freshness of the vegetables is divine and so healthy! It is perfect for a weekend breakfast or evening snack! This has become one of my favourites and the addition of fresh herbs make all the difference to the taste.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour (+ 1 hour rest for the batter)
For Crepe Batter:
- 45 gms rice flour
- 20 gms whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 45 ml full fat coconut milk (I used KTC Coconut milk but you can use any full fat coconut milk brand. If you use low fat coconut milk, adjust the water consistency accordingly as it will be thinner)
- 100 ml water (or more as required to have a milk like consistency)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp of olive oil per crepe to cook it
For Filling (mix it all up!):
- 1 red pepper (julienned)
- ¼ cabbage (julienned)
- 1 medium carrot (julienned)
- ¼ cucumber (julienned)
- 1 chilli (chopped)
- 1 spring onion (chopped)
- You can use other veggies of your choice as well such as mushroom (sautéed separately first), salad (lettuce, rocket leaves) or bean sprouts
- Handful fresh herbs (roughly chopped) – This makes all the difference!:
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp mint
For Peanut Sauce:
- 2 heaped spoonfuls crunchy peanut butter (I used Meridian Crunchy Peanut Butter) (you can use smooth peanut butter for a smooth sauce)
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce (or dark soya sauce)
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chilli garlic oil (if you do not have this, you can add 1 chopped chilli and 1 extra clove of garlic instead)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- Measure all the ingredients and mix until it forms a smooth batter. Make sure you
- Rest the batter for one hour.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter if required by adding water to ensure it has a milk like consistency.
- Heat a non-stick pan with 1-2 tsp oil on high heat. The pan needs to be really hot so the batter forms bubbles when poured.
- Pour 1-2 ladle spoonfuls of the batter and spread to form an even batter. Ensure they form the air bubbles as in the image below.
- Mix the chopped vegetables together.
- Let the crepe cook on medium heat with the lid on for 3-5 minutes or until the edge start to brown. It should easily come off the pan.
- Add the mix vegetables to the crepe, fold and serve with peanut sauce (see below).
For Peanut Sauce
- Measure and mix all the ingredients together to form a thick mix.
- You can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more water as per your preference.
Hope you enjoy this!