It cannot get more British than a combination of Hash Browns and Baked Beans for a nice weekend brunch. I have always eaten frozen hash browns and it only took me a little read to realise it is actually so easy to make at it. Making it fresh makes it so much more healthy and fresh. This is such a quick and easy breakfast or brunch option and it tastes so delicious. I have added some curry powder to the Baked Beans to add an oomph and Indian touch to this otherwise classic British brunch. On the whole, I would definitely make this on a lazy weekend day.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 45 minutes
For Hash Browns:
- 1 baking potato (peeled)
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder (or spicy if you want it hot!)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil/butter to cook each hash brown
For Baked Beans:
- 1 can Heinz Baked Beans
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp mild red chilli powder
- 2 pinches of salt
For Hash Browns
- Grate the potato. You can also chop it and use a food processor.
- Once grated, transfer to a muslin cloth and drain out water as much as possible.
3. Transfer the potatoes back to a bowl and add the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper and red chilli powder.
4. Heat oil/butter on a pan.
5. Take 4-5 tbsp of the potato mixture and place it in a ring. I have used rings to shape them round but this is entirely optional. If you are using rings, ensure you grease the sides. If you are not using them, ensure that you keep the hash browns about 1 cm thick.
6. Add oil around the edges and let it cook it on medium heat until the base is crispy. This may take about 5-6 minutes.
7. If you are using the rings, carefully take it out and flip it over until it becomes crispy on the other side as well.
8. Repeat until all hash browns are cooked and enjoy with Baked Beans!
For Baked Beans
- In a pan, add the can of baked beans along with the curry powder, pinches of salt and chilli powder.
- Look on medium heat for 2-3 minutes and enjoy with hash browns!
Hope you enjoy this!