Looking for something quick and delicious to make this festive season? Look no further as you try these Dahi Kebabs, which when translated means curd or yogurt kebabs. They have a soft melt i the mouth texture and are a great option for a vegetarian snack. Inspired by Neha Deepak Shah, these kebabs require some pre-planning but you will not be disappointed with the outcome. To serve this, I have used rather eccentric combinations of spiced couscous and pickled cucumber (much like a one-bowl meal) but somehow it works for me and forms a great option to have both as a snack or dinner option.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 45 minutes (+ 24 hours to prepare hung curd)
Servings: 7-8 kebabs
- 250 gms hung curd (this is drained for 24 hours) – It is essential to use full fat Greek yogurt that has been soaked in a muslin cloth left in the fridge for at least 24 hours. 400 gms of full fat greek yogurt should give you about 250 gms of hung curd)
- 2 heaped spoonfuls of gram flour (besan)
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour (atta)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 green chillies (adjust as per spice)
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 2 pinches of garam masala
- ¼ tsp rock salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (optional, you can even use 1 grated garlic clove instead as an alternative)
- Salt to taste
- ½ tbsp solid ghee (or 1 tbsp oil) to cook all kebabs
- In a shallow pan, roast the gram flour on a low flame for 5-6 minutes.
- Once the gram flour becomes light brown, remove from heat.
3. In a bowl, take the hung curd and mix all the flours (whole wheat flour, roasted gram flour) and add the spices to it (chopped coriander, green chillies, ground black pepper, cumin powder, grated ginger, garlic powder, 2 pinches garam masala, pinch of cardamom powder, rock salt and salt).
4. Mix it well with a spoon until it forms a smooth paste.
5. Heat the oil/ghee in a pan and it spread evenly.
6. Using a spoon, scoop 1 tbsp of the mixture and place it on the pan with the help of a second tablespoon.
7. Repeat until all the kebabs are on the pan.
8. Cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes and flip over and cook on the other side for the same time or until it is brown and solid.
9. Serve hot with couscous or enjoy on its own with chutney or sauce.
Hope you enjoy this!