Gnocchi is a variety of pasta consisting primarily of a mixture of flour and potatoes that are boiled or pan fried and served with a sauce of choice. It is a great option for comfort food. I have adapted my recipe to make a healthier and gluten free version that does not contain any plain flour. Instead, I have substituted the flour for cauliflower to make it a mix of mostly vegetables with rice flour and cornflour to bind the dough. It is important to note that you will need to cool the vegetables fully to ensure most of the water dries out and the dough is well-combined. I have served my gnocchi with a delicious broccoli pesto.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour + 1 hour cool time
- 1 large potato (boiled and cooled)
- ½ cauliflower floret (boiled and cooled)
- 2 tbsp rice flour + more for dusting
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
For Broccoli Pesto:
- ½ broccoli floret (boiled)
- 5-4 fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 softened garlic cloves (let the garlic boil in water for 2-3 minutes)
- 1 green chilli (more if you want it spicy)
- 1 tbsp cheese (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Ice to cool the sauce (or 2-3 tbsp water)
For Vegan Gnocchi
- In a bowl, mash the boiled potatoes and cauliflower.
- Add the salt, pepper along with rice flour and cornflour and knead to form a soft dough. If the dough is stick you can add 1 more tbsp of cornflour.
3. Divide the dough into 4 portions.
4. Sprinkle some rice flour on a clean surface.
5. Take one of the 4 divided dough and roll it to a long snake like string.
6. Repeat the process until all the 4 portions are rolled out.
7. Use a knife to cut the rolled dough into 1-inch size pieces.
8. In a non-stick pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil.
9. Add half the gnocchis into the pan and fry on medium heat until it turns golden brown on each side. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
10. Repeat for the second batch as well and enjoy with the broccoli pesto. Note: I prefer to serve my sauce on the top but you can mix it in on the pan as well.
For Broccoli Pesto
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender until a smooth paste is formed.
- Serve and enjoy with gnocchi!
Hope you enjoy this!