I stumbled upon soba noodles on my occasional trip to the Asian store and I just had to try it. For those who have been following me for a while will know how much I love to try alternate flour options and soba is the Japanese name for buckwheat. They are a healthy alternative to plain noodles and taste simply amazing. Inspired from my Sweet and Spicy Soba Noodles, these are quicker with no tofu and lots of vegetables. This is a quick and easy lunch or dinner option for the days you want something different to eat. You can use always use vegetables you have handy at home and substitute it from the one that I have used.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 40 minutes
Noodles and Sauce:
- 150 gms boiled Soba Noodles (Noodles are boiled in salt water and 1 tsp olive oil and drained)
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce (if you have only one type of soya sauce handy, use that and adjust the salt accordingly)
- 1 ½ tbsp vinegar (I used rice vinegar but use any that you have handy)
- 1 tsp honey (Vegan option: Maple/Agave syrup/sugar)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 5-6 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ½ tsp garlic powder (for that extra garlic kick)
- Salt to taste
- 1 spring onion (chopped)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds + more for garnish
- 5-6 mushrooms (sliced) (I used chestnut mushrooms but you can use any you have available)
- 1 cup cabbage (sliced)
- ½ broccoli head
- ½ carrot (sliced thinly)
- 1 green pepper (sliced) (Any pepper would do!)
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- In a pot, bring water to boil.
- Add the noodles with salt and 1 tsp olive oil to cook until soft (soba noodles usually take about 5-7 minutes).
- Drain and keep aside.
4. Use a mortar and pestle to crush the ginger, garlic, garlic powder, green chillies and add the honey, light and dark soya sauce, salt and vinegar to form the paste. You can blend the ingredients in a blender as well. Keep aside while you prepare the vegetables.
5. In another pan, heat the olive oil.
6. Add the sesame seeds, spring onions, onions and cook until the onions become golden brown.
7. Next, add the mushrooms and let it cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it shrinks and all the water evaporates. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
8. Add the cabbage, carrot, pepper, broccoli and stir allowing the vegetables to cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
9. Add the sauce paste and mix.
10. Next, add the boiled noodles and mix until well combined.
11. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on medium heat and garnish with sesame seeds.
Hope you enjoy this!