Paratha (a spiced and flavoured flatbread) is yet another staple in Indian households made with a whole wheat flour base. I chose to make fenugreek (methi) and chilli flavoured dough. When making the dough, I realised how similar it is to a thepla but with more ghee and butter and a slightly thicker rolled dough. I added a kick of mild green chillies for some spice but made sure it did not overpower the flavour of the methi. The whole combination was so delicious and is best enjoyed with yogurt, pickle and extra butter on top!
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 6 parathas
- 120 gms whole wheat flour + more for dusting
- 3 tbsp thick yogurt
- 1 cup chopped fenugreek (methi)
- 1 tsp oil for dough
- 4-5 green chopped chillies (mix of mild and spicy)
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ghee/butter to cook each paratha
- Water as required to knead the dough
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients together: whole wheat flour, turmeric powder, white sesame seeds, chopped green chillies, carom seeds and salt.
- Add the chopped fenugreek (methi) and yogurt and mix.
- Add water bit by bit to knead to a soft dough.
- Once the dough is formed, knead for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp oil to coat the dough and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
6. Divide into 6 portions.
7. Flatten the dough and dust it with generous amount of flour.
8. Roll the dough to about a 2mm thickness turning it over often and dusting flour as required so it does not stick to the base.
9. Heat a griddle to cook the paratha.
10. Once hot, place the rolled dough on it and partially cook the base. This should take about 30 seconds.
11. On medium heat, add 1 tsp butter/ghee on the top side and around the sides and flip it over.
12. Flip it over again and continue to cook the paratha on a medium heat until it is cooked on both sides. You can use a folded muslin cloth or press to cook it.
13. Repeat the process for the remaining dough.
14. Serve hot with yogurt, pickle and some added butter (optional) on top and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this!