Here is a healthy option for breakfast or evening snack with a slight twist. I have always made savoury crepes (chila) and eaten it with Coriander and Mint Chutney. However, here I have added vegetables folded in it to create a wholesome meal with lots of yummy vegetables! I have used mushrooms, spinach and beans that I used to usually eat over toast but the pairing with crepes works equally well. It is a well balanced dish giving you all your nutrients as you get protein and carbohydrates from the red lentils, fibre from the vegetables and healthy fats from the butter and oil.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour (+ lentils soaked overnight)
Servings: 4 crepes
For Vegetable Fillings:
- 10-12 chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 12-14 french beans (sliced half)
- 1 cup spinach (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
For Red Lentil Crepe:
- 80 gms red lentils (soaked overnight)
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1 medium tomato
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 100 ml water + as required to form a thick batter
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice to top each crepe
For Vegetable Fillings
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped garlic and green chillies and sauté until the garlic begins to brown.
- Add the sliced mushrooms along with salt, ½ tsp ground black pepper and red chilli flakes and mix.
- The mushroom will begin to soften and release water in a few minutes. Keep stirring on high heat until the water almost dries out. This should take about 10-12 minutes.
5. Once the water has almost dried out, add the chopped spinach and let the water released from the spinach also dry out. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
6. While this is cooking, you can prepare the beans in the next step.
7. For the beans, heat another pan with 1 tbsp butter and let it brown.
8. Once brown, add the beans with salt and ¼ tsp ground black pepper.
9. Keep stirring on medium heat and sauté it until it begins to char. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
10. Keep aside and prepare the crepe.
For Red Lentil Crepe
- Blend the soaked red lentils, tomatoes, coriander, ginger, red chilli powder, green chillies, salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder and water until smooth. You can adjust the consistency of the batter by adding a bit more water but ensure it is not too thin (see middle image below).
- Heat a flat non-stick pan.
- Add a ladle and half of the lentil mixture and spread it thinly as you would for a crepe.
4. Add a tsp of oil/ghee along the sides and cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
5. Flip it over once the edges start to brown and separate from the pan and cook on the other side on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
6. Repeat until all the crepes are cooked.
7. To assemble the dish, place the crepe on a plate and add the mushroom and spinach + sautéed beans on top. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice to garnish and enjoy with Coriander and Mint Chutney.
Hope you enjoy this!