For those who know me well, know my love for broccoli. It was one of the first vegetables that I was introduced to when I moved to the UK and it is my top favourite vegetable ever since. I have always loved my broccoli sautéed with garlic for a quick dinner. So here I decided to convert my roasted broccoli to a soup and try out a new variation on it. It was warm and comforting to have a fresh soup for a cold and rainy evening!
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
- 1 broccoli head (with short stems)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 5-6 garlic cloves (sliced)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes (use red chilli powder if you do not have flakes)
- ½ tsp garlic powder (added this for extra garlic flavour but you can add a 1-2 more garlic cloves if you do not have this)
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese (you can use cheddar cheese instead of cottage cheese as well)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 500 ml water + more as required to adjust the thickness of the soup
For vegetable stock
- In a pan, bring 500 ml water to boil.
- Add the stock cube and let it cook for 3-4 minutes and keep aside.
For roasted broccoli
- In another pan, heat the oil.
- Add the broccoli, and roast it for about 15 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a pan heat the butter.
- Add the garlic and sauté the garlic on medium heat until brown.
- Add the onion and sauté until they turn golden brown. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the roasted broccoli and stir so the butter is coated well on the broccoli too.
5. Add the stock and stir.
6. Add the spices and let it simmer with the lid on for 9-10 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.
7. Blend with a hand blender until it forms a smooth paste. If you do not have a hand blender, cool the soup down to just above room temperature and transfer to a blender and blend to a smooth liquid.
8. Adjust the spices and water as per your taste and desired thickness of the soup.
9. Add the cottage cheese (or cheddar cheese if using) and blend for a further one minute.
10. Have on its own or serve with bread and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy this!