Over the weekend, I was thinking for new and healthy breakfast and brunch ideas. I have always been a fan of making besan pudlas (gram flour & coriander savoury pancakes) but I wanted to try something new. Gaining inspiration from my savoury pancakes, I tried these fritters and added more vegetables. This turned out to be equally tasty and so I made them again. On the first attempt, it was really spicy but the next attempt, I toned down the spice and the flavours of the vegetables came through more and I could enjoy these crispy delicacy for my brunch.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 fritters (serves 2 people)
- 100 gms gram flour (besan)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- ½ cup cabbage (sliced long)
- ½ medium onion (sliced)
- 1 green chilli (chopped) (Avoid if you do not want it spicy)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of asafoedita
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch ginger (finely grated)
- 1 tsp oil/ghee to cook each fritter
- ½ cup water to form batter
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (chopped) (optional)
- In a bowl, add the cabbage and carrot (and chopped coriander if using) along with the spices (salt, chilli powder, asafoetida, green chilli and turmeric powder) and mix.
- Add the gram flour and water as required to form a thick paste mix.
- Stir vigorously for a minute to avoid forming lumps. The consistency should be thick (see below).
4. In a pan, heat the oil/ghee.
5. Add a spoonful of the mixture and pat it flat with your hands on the pan to form a 3-4 inch diameter circle.
6. Cook on medium flame for 6-7 minutes or until the base becomes crispy and the fritter holds together and chars slightly.
7. Flip over and cook for a further 6-7 minutes or until this side begins to crisp and char as well.
8. Once cooked, transfer to a plate and repeat the process until all the fritters are made.
9. Serve with chutney of choice or ketchup and enjoy! You can see our recipe for coriander chutney here.
Hope you enjoy this!
One Reply to “Vegetable Fritters”