Sometimes, it is good to have a change from the standard tomato sauce or white sauce pasta. This pasta dish has mushroom, spinach and asparagus and is paired with a fresh basil sauce (grown in the home garden) and topped with walnuts to give it an additional crunch.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
For Pasta Sauce:
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves
- 4 tbsp basil leaves (double the amount of mint leaves)
- 2 tbsp cheese
- 1 inch ginger
- 9-10 pistachio (taken out of the shell)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- 200 gms boiled pasta of choice (I have used penne but tagiatelle goes well with this recipe as well)
- ½ onion (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 8-10 chestnut mushroom (sliced)
- 5-6 walnuts (chopped into quarters)
- Handful spinach leaves (chopped)
- 3 asparagus tips (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Grated cheese to top (optional)
- You can add pistachios along with the walnuts as well.
- You can also add some fresh lemon juice at the end in addition to what is used for the sauce.
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until it forms a smooth paste. You can add a little extra water to blend it as it will be cooked later and the desired flavour will still be achieved. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan, boil the pasta with salt and 1 tsp olive oil.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil.
- Add chopped garlic and onion and cook until the onion turns golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium heat and add the cut asparagus tips and cut mushroom and stir. If you do not have asparagus, you can omit it.
- Next, add the chopped spinach.
6. Add the salt, oregano, red chilli powder and ground black pepper with 3-4 tbsps of water and cover with a lid to cook the vegetables for 10 minutes on medium heat.
7. Once the mushrooms have reduced in size and the spinach has wilted, add the pasta sauce and stir.
8. Add the boiled pasta and stir.
9. Lastly, add the chopped walnuts and cheese (optional) and stir.
10. Adjust the salt and water as per taste.
11. Enjoy and serve hot.
Hope you enjoy this!