This is my first attempt at making sushi and I underestimated the effort that goes into perfecting this and that comes with practice. Nonetheless, it was delicious and a great change to the dinners I usually cook.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings: 4 sushi rolls
For Sushi Rice:
- 180 gms sushi rice (soaked for 30 minutes and washed until all the water is clear to remove any excess starch)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1-2 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional – to top)
For Sushi filling and rolling:
- 4 roasted Nori sheets
- ½ carrot (sliced long)
- ½ bell pepper stripls
- ¼ cucumber strips
- 3 asparagus tips
- ½ avacado
- 5-6 tfu strips
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tsp oil to cook
- ½ tsp black pepper
- You can add other vegetables of your choice as well such as mushrooms, spinach and beetroot.
For Sushi Rice:
- Soak the rice and wash it thoroughly until the water is clear.
- Boil the rice on medium heat with 250 ml of water.
- Once the rice softens and boils, drain any excess water. You should be able to see the grains separately and they should not mash up.
- Keep aside to cool down completely.
- Once cooled, add the rice vinegar, sugar, salt and mix.
For Sushi filling
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Once hot, add the asparagus, tofu and pepper (optional) to saute.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder and soya sauce and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Keep turning the tofu and vegetables to ensure it’s cooked from all sides.
- Keep aside.
For Rolling Sushi
- Place the Nori sheet on a flat surface such as a chopping board.
- Wet your fingers to avoid the rice sticking to them.
- Take enough rice to form a thin layer on the sheet.
- Spread it with a spoon or using your fingers over the whole sheet leaving a 1 inch gap at one end which will be the end of your roll.
- Optional: Sprinkle black sesame seeds over the rice if you want.
- Add the desired vegetables and tofu on the end layered with rice.
- Wet your fingers again before beginning to roll the sushi.
- Begin to roll it slowly away from you ensuring it is tight. You can watch this video for a tutorial on how to roll sushi without a sushi mat.
- Cut into 2 cm pieces and serve with sauce of your choice.
Hope you enjoy this!
2 Replies to “Vegan Sushi”
Very nice preparation and also presentation wish you best of luck
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you 😀