From the heart of Vietnam, here is my take on a veggie version of the traditional meat based crepe with a sweet and spicy peanut sauce.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour (+ 1 hour rest for the batter)
For Bánh Xèo Crepe Batter:
- You will need about 1-2 tsp of oil per crepe to cook it.
- You can use other veggies of your choice as well such as mushroom (sautéed separately first), salad (lettuce, rocket leaves) or beansprouts
- Instead of sprouts you can use tofu (sautéed separately first) or nothing at all.
For Peanut Sauce:
- You can use smooth peanut butter if you want a smooth sauce.
- If you want a more subtle taste of the ginger and garlic, soak them in boiling water 2-3 minutes.
For Bánh Xèo Crepe
- Measure all the ingredients and mix until it forms a smooth batter.
- Rest the batter for one hour.
- Adjust the consistency of the batter by adding water to ensure it has a milk like consistency.
- Heat a pan with oil on high heat.
- Add 2 tsp of boiled sprouts to the hot oil.
- Pour 2-3 ladle spoonfuls on the crackling sprouts and spread to form an even batter. Ensure they form the air bubbles as in the image below.
- Mix the chopped vegetables together.
- Let the crepe cook on high heat with the lid on for 2-3 minutes or until the edge start to brown.
- Add the mix vegetables to the crepe, fold and serve with peanut sauce (see below).
For Peanut Sauce
- Measure and mix all the ingredients together to form a thick mix.
- You can adjust the consistency of the sauce by adding more water as per your preference.
Hope you enjoy this!