For my cheat days and sweet cravings, I experimented making a simple yet delicious sponge loaf cake to find a healthier alternative to wheat and refined sugar cakes.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
- 150 gms buckwheat flour
- 110 gms coconut sugar (or use 95 gms of granulated sugar)
- 180 gms full fat plain yogurt
- 30 ml water
- 85 ml vegetable oil (or alternative such as olive oil or sunflower oil)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat the oven at 190 degree C.
- Weigh all the ingredients separately.
- Sieve the buckwheat flour, baking powder and bicarbonate soda.
- Mix the dry ingredients along with the coconut sugar and keep aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the yogurt, water and vegetable oil together.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet mix and keep whisking.
- Once all the dry ingredients are added, mix it well until it forms a thick batter and there are no lumps.
- Grease a loaf tin using melted butter or oil.
- Pour the batter in the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Use a toothpick in the centre to check if it is baked through and if it comes out clean, it’s done.
Hope you enjoy this!