A wholesome, hearty and healthy meal, perfect for a rainy day to keep you warm! I made this not expecting much but it is so quick and easy to make. Cooked with celery, carrot, a mix of spices and garnished with fresh lemon juice, the red lentil soup is so full of flavour and I just wanted to have more. I garnished it with whole wheat crisps (made by thinly rolling kneaded lightly spiced wheat flour and baking it) but you could enjoy this with bread on the side or bread crumbs too.
If you do try this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag us. Follow us on @kpfoodheaven for latest updates on our recipes and posts!
Total cook time: 1 hour
- 80 gms red lentils (soaked for 2-3 hours)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 green chilli (chopped)
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- ½ cumin powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Pinch of asafoedita
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 celery stick (sliced)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 1 tbsp oil to cook
- Water as required
- 1 tsp ground black pepper and/or salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 2 tbsp crispy onions, whole wheat crisps or crispy bread (optional)
- The red lentils need to be soaked for 3-4 hours. Boil the soaked red lentils with salt in a pressure cooker or pot with double the amount of water to the lentils.
- In a separate pan, heat oil and add the ginger, garlic, onions, chillies, bay leaves and cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots and celery along with a bit of water and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes on a medium flame.
5. In a separate pot, boil 400 ml of water and dissolve the stock cube.
6. Add the red chilli powder, tumeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, fresh coriander and salt and stir.
7. Add the stock cube mix to the vegetables.
8. Add the boiled red lentils to the mix and cover it with a lid.
9. Cook on a medium flame for 10 to 15 minutes until the soup begins to thicken.
10. Turn off the heat and let the soup cool for a few minutes.
11. Using a hand blender, blend the soup until it forms a smooth mix. If you do not have a hand blender, you can cool it and transfer to a mixer and blend.
12. Garnish the soup with black pepper, crispy bread, coconut milk and fresh lemon juice and enjoy hot!
Hope you enjoy this!